Tuesday, January 27, 2009

TBL: David Choi Smiles on the Inside!



I often think of how lucky we are here at GenderFun.com. One of the greatest thing about being us :-) is that we get to interview great people that love what they do. In turn, they inspire us. "Follow your bliss" said Joseph Campbell, and that is exactly what David Choi is doing. He is such a talent, a musical craftsman, a melodic wizard. Oh, and the dude has a great sense of humor. He is the master of the dead pan. Not till recently has he cracked a smile on his very popular YouTube videos.

Check out this spicy rendition of Britney's "Womanizer"



We were fortunate enough to have him answer some of our questions.

And here they are.


1) If your new album "Only You" was a 3 course meal (appetizer, entree, dessert) what would it be?
DC - Haha, that's a tough question, especially because I'm hungry right now! I would have to choose Guacamole, Roasted Chicken, and Pumpkin pie. All organic and made from scratch of course, just like my album :)

2) If by writing a song you could cure any ONE illness in the world which one would it be?
DC - Wow, hard to choose one. If I had to, I would have to choose Cancer (which includes all cancers) because so many people are hurt by it.

3) When watching some of your less serious videos I get a sense that you and Stephen Cobert may have a lot in common. How do you keep a straight face when you are delivering such great comedy?
DC - Well, I've practiced for 2 years now, I've mastered the art of not smiling on YouTube!!! But really, I have a lot of self-control and I guess some "jokes" slip my mind in that instant because I'm thinking about what I'm about to say next! I guess I expect people to not take me too seriously sometimes...it's more a thing of being myself, and if you like what I'm about, cool, and if you don't, that's cool too. Really, I don't hate too much. If someone hates me, I'd like to sit and chat with them and figure out why they dislike me so much haha.

4) Why do you suppose we've not had an Asian-American solo singer/songwriter/performer (male or female) in the mainstream and would you like to fill that position?
DC- I think this is a question a lot of Asians think about. There are so many possible reasons why there are no Asian-American singer/songwriter/performers in the mainstream, but I think there will be one someday when everything lines up with the stars :)

Would I like the fill that position? I'm not sure honestly. It's a heavy burden...But I do feel lucky to be in a place at the moment where I can share music and inspire people. It's not really about me, but others! :)

Thanks for the great questions, I had fun! :)


Thank you David for taking the time to answer our questions and we wish you all the success this year.
Your music is great and your down to earth attitude is just plain rad!
peace my friend.

David Choi has a great deal of original songs for FREE on his site www.DavidChoiMusic.com

onlyyouitunes1ai6
or you can do what I did, buy his full album and support independent artists HERE

TO SEE DAVID CHOI LIVE @ Shrine Auditorium CLICK HERE