Friday, April 16, 2010

Put Your Back Into It!

If you follow me on Facebook you know that last week I went in for an MRI. I've been having back pains and it seemed as if the pain was getting worse.

Today I met up with the doctor to get my blood results and the MRI results.

I'm happy to report that on Monday I'll be turning 31 years old and I've made it without contracting HIV. That's always good news.

The bad news is that even though 31 is not technically considered old age my back didn't get the memo.

The doctor explained that the pain I've been feeling is due to two herniated discs in the thoracic spine.

What does that mean? Well this website explains it:



A herniated disc occurs when the intervertebral disc's annulus (the outer fibers) is damaged and the soft inner material of the nucleus pulposus ruptures out of its normal space. If the annulus tears near the spinal canal, the nucleus pulposus material can push into the spinal canal. There is very little extra space around the spinal cord in the thoracic area. So when a herniated disc occurs in the mid back it can be extremely serious. In severe cases, the pressure on the spinal cord can lead to paralysis below the waist. Fortunately, herniated discs are not nearly as common in the thoracic spine as in the lumbar spine.

Not nearly as common they say so I guess this means I won the lotto. The prize seems to be pain. Great, I didn't even know I was playing the lotto of pain.

So now what? Now we go in for physical therapy and another MRI this time on our neck since that too is giving me a bit of pain.

This week I started wearing a back brace which doesn't look too fashionable but I can see Lady Gaga wearing it in a future video. The brace is helping me stand up straighter and keeping the spine from bending in that area. Not very comfortable but it does feel like it's helping.



That's the physical update. The emotional component of dealing with a physical injury is something new to me. I'm the kind of person who laughs on a roller coaster, and will smile when I'm with friends even if I have a headache. Why bring the party down right? This pain has been a challenge in the sense that I kept it to myself for months now. I simply hate pity.

So why tell you now? Well, I will probably be doing some resting and taking care of my back for a few weeks, maybe months so I don't know how "present" I will be on the net but I will try my hardest to update this site and FB as often as I can for those who care. Ya know, there are more important things happening in this world.

I have a few videos in the works and some beautiful emails I've gotten from you guys that I hope to post soon.

I just felt the need to update you since a few of you knew of my situation. Mom, you can calm down now. At least we know it's not life threatening.

I love you all. Thank you for your support.
Keep spreading the sparkle and please take care of your bones... and your boners ;-)

much love
-Adrian
ps - This film really helped us today get a grasp on how to deal with physical pain. Such a nice story. ClickHERE.