Friday, June 25, 2010

The Young and Determined

We need your help.

Please read the following email we received from one of our dear readers.


hi im Derek age 16 and baiscly im having troble with my gender.
ive told my mom but she doesent do anything about it. and what im asking is do you know the average cost for the anti testasterone?

or like how much appointments cost. that and if you have any advice tell me.
well thanks and love your videos! there soo helpful i love the one were you turn the shirt into a dress :)


-----

Dear Derek,

Things will get better. We're not going to pretend to know how hard you have it but we want you to know you are not alone.
We're posting this in hopes that some of our readers who are more familiar with hormone treatment can chime in and give you an idea as to your best course of action.

When I was 17 years old I decided I wanted a belly button ring. I know, silly. I asked my mom if she would let me. She said "Not as long as you live under my roof." She thought that would be the end of it since the tattoo place would not pierce anyone under the age of 18.

I got my cool cousin to lie and get a letter notarized stating that I was allowed to get pierced. The letter was enough for the tattoo place and so I got my piercing. IT HURT LIKE HELLLLLL!!!!

I did not take my shirt off in front of my mother for a whole year, until I turned 18. When she finally saw my piercing she thought I had gotten it during the previous weekend but her mouth dropped when I told her that I had it done the previous year. She was surprised that I could keep a secret for that long.

The reason I tell you this story is because I know how it is when you're young and you won't take NO for an answer.

Please be careful. Parents have their rules.

If I were you I would get an ally like the family doctor or a psychologist on your side. Someone that can help explain to your mom how important this is to you. I know gender identity is very important but please remember that there is more to you than your gender identity. Keep trying to make your dreams a reality but also remember that you'll be 18 in two years and you'll be free to make your own decisions.

Hang in there. Stay strong. I wish you great success with your journey. Please stop by and let me know your progress.

much love
-Adrian

****If you have any advice for Derek please feel free to leave it in the comments below.
for more viewer mail click HERE