Saturday, July 10, 2010

An Overdue Letter to You

If you ever stopped and asked yourself "What the heck am I doing with my life?" you are not alone.

We don't need much to survive; food, shelter, and a bit of love. Money can take care of the first two and although you can't buy love money sure can allow for some free time to spend with loved ones.

I've been reading the above book by Po Bronson "What Should I Do with My Life? The True Story of People Who Answered the Ultimate Question". Recommended by our dear friend Deryck Todd. I love documentaries so this book is right up my alley. It's like a documentary on paper.

I can't say I remember asking myself "What SHOULD I do with my life" but I do remember asking "What do I WANT to do with my life." Life, after all, is full of possibilities.

I moved from Florida to New York in late October of 2002. I started working an office job in corporate America in April 2003. I've had the same job ever since. I don't usually talk about my "day job." Most of my friends have no clue what it is that I "do" for money. All they know is that I go into an office M-F 9am-5pm.

It's crazy to think that I've been able to do the things I've done in the past seven years while holding a day job; from working part-time for a NYC Magazine and interviewing Dolly Parton to appearing on Television and collaborating with some amazing artist. My scrap-book seems to grow each month. I am very lucky, and very grateful.

I often feel people have this misconception about "us." They think Amnesia wants to be rich and famous! That we perform in order to be the next superstar or that we LOVE the attention. But "Fame" has never been our true motivator. We talk about that in the book Amnesia and I are writing "Life with Amnesia". It's a slow writing process being that I spend 8 hours a day in an office M-F not able to work on it.

My main motivation comes from connecting with people. It comes from helping others. That is from where the idea for this site came. That is why we donate the proceeds of the revenue we make from GF video ads to charity. Maybe not a smart thing to do from a business stand point but it fills our heart with joy knowing our entertaining you can help someone else in need.

However, GenderFun is not the end of it. We have great ideas for this site that we hope to manifest in the future. From adding a community board to taking Gender Fun into a Live performance/recording space. A place where Amnesia can interact with the GF audience in a live setting.

Gender Fun feeds part of our passion. The other part of our passion we have been slowly working on the side. We love to create visuals. It was in second grade that I won my first drawing contest. I've been drawing ever since. And it was about eight years ago that I picked up a camera and started experimenting.

Not till recently that we said "hey, why not put your fears aside and really go for it?" We are still putting together the business side of photography and trying to find the time to actually go forward with our dream. We finally put together a website with some of our work called www.TransFormPhotos.com. It's still work in progress but being that you've read this far we will let you take a sneak peek.

And there you have it. That is what we are doing with our lives. We are working a full time corporate job, creating content for this site, and working on building our freelance photography business while sneaking in a few hours a week to write our first book. Its sound crazy now that I think about it... but crazy to me is NOT going after your dreams.

Plus, I know friends that pretty much are doing all of the above AND raising kids. THEY ARE TRULY NUTS!!


Below is a passage from the above book "What Should I Do With My Life?"

"I'm often asked some form of this question: "Should I jump into my dream, or should I nurture it slowly, on the side?"...
Marcela found the practical way to do the impractical thing: she nurtured it slowly for years. But then came the point where she was forced to finally jump. Almost every story had this duality. Which is to say , the question is a bit of a mirage. You'll have to nurture it, and you'll have to jump on its back. It takes time. If you want to give yourself a fair chance to succeed, never expect too much too soon."


I certainly hope you will be there when we get ready to make the jump! It will be an exciting day for sure!

Thank you for reading and we hope you too are working towards your dream.
much love
-Adrian