Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pulling a Garbo

10193496-greta-garbo

Movement, that's what life is all about. If it's not moving, chances are it's not alive... that is, unless we're talking about my new favorite show on TV with zombies The Walking Dead.

Whenever I start feeling that I'm becoming a zombie I disconnect. Usually, my immune system follows by allowing me to get the common cold. That's when I turn off my phone, skip checking my emails, shut the blinds, and lay in front of the TV for a couple of days with some warm tea, tissues, and lots and lots of ME time. Which pretty much describes what I've been up to the past four days

I guess I've grown accustomed to this behavior. From time to time I need to step away from the canvas to get a different perspective. I would say most people never know of this aspect of my personality but close friends and family members know this about me. They'll tell you how I go into my cave like a bear and there is no amount of honey that can lure me out .

Life is not only about movement but also about participation. I've often heard one of my friends say "oy, I really don't want to go to this party," To which I reply, "Then DON'T GO."

I understand obligations. A wedding, that's an obligation. A funeral, that's an obligation. Jury duty, a parole hearing, etc are obligations. To make leisure gatherings an obligation tends to take the fun out of the experience. That's something most mom's don't seem to understand when they say "would it kill you to call your mother?" Mothers can I talk to you for a second? Mothers, by saying THAT you don't make calling you more appealing. If I wanted a guilt trip I'd still be a Catholic.

We live in an age where communicating is a text, a call, an email away. And depending on how you've constructed your public persona you get invitations, Facebook notifications, emails, and texts twenty-four seven. People love you and want to spend time with you. Can you blame them? You are awesome after all. But how much time with people do you actually need before feeling like spending time with them becomes an obligation?

Is socializing about QUANTITY or is it about QUALITY?

I tend to lean towards preferring quality over quantity. That's why from time to time I simply pull a Garbo when I say "I want to be alone."


;-)





ps - Alone time is almost up. I guess it's time to get back to work. Almost done putting together the second episode of Amnesia's "Reality Show" Getting Amnesia. You're going to love it!