Sunday, June 19, 2011

Brotherhood of Rock.



Here is a quick glimpse of some of the fun I had with my old rock band last week. It had been four years since we last played together.

We have the sax player to thank for getting the band back together that night. You see, the sax player is getting married and he asked us if we'd do the honors of playing at his reception-wedding-send-off. The drummer and the bass player made it in from out of town just for this.

I won't go into details in this post regarding the band's four year history but I will say this, being a part of this rock band brings a great deal of memories to mind. Although I don't see the guys that often they are like old college buddies, or members of a platoon. I feel a certain brotherhood and loyalty to these guys. There is something magical and special that happens when guys get together to play music. Sure you have your typical ego fueled arguments on who gets what solo, and whether you should play a song an octave lower or not, but at the end of the day you're doing it all to give the crowd an awesome time.

I feel really honored to have been part of this experience.


It's funny, because if you were to ask me whether I enjoy rocking on stage as a guy with my rock n roll brothers or hitting up the town as my female self...I honestly wouldn't know which one to pick. They are completely different worlds. They are both liberating in their own way and I'm grateful to have been able to tap into both worlds.